Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Refresh in the Heat

Yesterday was HOT. Like, Africa HOT!! Who wants to cook. Really! Who wants to make the kitchen even hotter? I know I don't. I don't even want to go and turn on my back yard patio BBQ grill. So, one needs to be creative to beat the heat. And doing this will require you to go against the grain and not use heat to make a meal. In fact, its quite easy to make refreshing meals without using heat/fire. So, i would like to introduce to you a little something called "Pico de gallo". Now, I know for some this may sound intimidating, but, its quick and easy and can accompany many different items.

Ingredients:

2 Hydroponic Tomatoes (my choice for flavor but any tomato will do)
1 Medium Red onion
1/4 Cup fresh Cilantro chopped
2 to 4 Fresh Serrano (seeded and minced)
1/2 Cup Pine nuts
Pinch of garlic powder
Salt to taste

Put all ingredients in a bowl and gently combine .

To accompany this I would recommend a baguette sliced into little thin wafers.










Also a refreshing garden salad pick from your garden (if you have one) would be a wonderfull item to add your Pico de Gallo into.
So, this simple little recipe will make your afternoon or evening meal a nice break from the "OMG my Kitchen is Friggin HOT and I feel nauseous!" So have a break on me and sit back, relax, feel fresh.

Finito!

No comments: