Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Gazpacho


First time I heard this word spoken, I thought a dirty word was being disguised in Spanish.  Imagine my surprise when I learned what it was. Here is a little link to kinda give an overview for those who have heard it but are not quite sure what it is. " wikipedia " and for those of you who have eaten it, I'm positive you would eat it again.  I've seen this Gazpacho made in about 200 different ways.  Which attest to its diversity as something customizable to fit your pallet. 

I often, come across new and old recipes in my repertoire that have been forgotten over time or I tried once and thought it would be great to come back and make my own.  Gazpacho, is one of those that I had, liked, came back too, reinvented, customized and then, foolishly, forgot about.  In conversation with a good friend a few weeks ago, we were talking about all the exotic and different dishes we have tried in our lives and what we were surprised that we actually loved and wanted more of.  I was impressed with the detail she described about her encounter with Gazpacho and how it impacted her the very first time.  I asked myself, "why can't we not have those experiences more often?"   Is that considered a food epiphany?  I'm really not sure.  I do know however, that I cook with those moments in mind.  I feel that Gazpacho may be one of those unique dishes that can offer you that "moment".  I urge you to give it a try.

The following recipe is the "basic" version of Gazpacho.  Don't feel you need to follow it to the letter.  I will suggest you try it once to give yourself a taste reference.  I think with all basic recipes, they should be tried in there original form so you have a grasp of what the dish should taste like.  A reference point is important if you want to maintain a dishes character, all the while changing it to suite your desired tastes.

This looks lovely if you chop all the vegetables by hand. If that sounds like too much work, though, feel free to use a food processor.

Gazpacho

21 oz. of tomato (finely diced if by hand)
3 cloves of garlic
3 Vidalia onions  (finely diced if by hand)
2 red peppers (finely diced if by hand)
2 green peppers (finely diced if by hand)
1 cucumber (finely diced if by hand)
2 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro, chopped
7 tablespoons of oil
2 tablespoons of vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon of water
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Chop up the garlic cloves and then crush them with the side of a large knife. Mix all of ingredients together except for the salt, and pepper. If you are using a food processor, chop in short pulses. The gazpacho should have a chunky consistency. If the gazpacho is too thick, add some cold water.

Stir in the salt, and pepper until it is to your preferred taste.

Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with some cilantro leaves if you desire. This can be made up to 2 days in advance. Serves about 6

This is a great recipe to use up those extra tomatoes from your garden or farmer's market. It makes a cool, refreshing meal or appetizer on those hot "Fall" days. (thats a crack for the hot temps we have been getting here in my neck of the woods)

Finito!

No comments: