Thursday, October 7, 2010

"K"rab Salad

Ever have a craving for some seriously good Krab Salad?  Did you notice the "K" in crab?  Yep!  The fake stuff.  Whitefish made to look and taste like Crab meat.  Its not the real deal sadly but, who can afford real crab meat? And to add insult to injury, I'm landlocked.  So, what do you do when life deals you fake crab?  You make "K"rab Salad. 

I will be straight with you.  When I first saw this being made, I thought to myself, no way in hell am I putting fake crab in my mouth.  I thought, how on earth can you make fake crab?  How can you even mold the stuff to resemble crab meat?  And the coloring, well, I won't touch on that because it just kind of freaks me out.  The funny thing is, if I don't think about it to deeply, I actually like the stuff. 

When I was younger I will openly admit, I was food snobby.  I refused to put anything in my mouth that was what I considered "low quality" but time and age have tempered that in me.  This "K"rab salad was one of those moments when I learned, that things that are not legit, ain't always bad.  I have made this many times after that first experience and it has always been a crowd pleaser.  I often don't mention the fact that its fake crab to see who can tell the difference. I never spoil someones moment, but sometimes its awfully hard not to point a finger and yell "GOTCHA!!!"

Well, enough bantering on and on.  I do sincerely hope you enjoy this.  Its economical friendly and delicious to boot.

"K"rab Salad

2 Packages of Krab Salad (Whatever brand is cost friendly)
16 oz (about 1 Lb or half of a Large Bag) shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 - 2 Bundles of Green Onion (Finely diced)
2 Cups of Heavy Mayonnaise (Not Salad dressing, its just too sweat)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Steps:

Break apart your Krab into small peaces.  Its up to you how chunky you want your Krab.

Add the rest of ingredients and mix thoroughly with your hands.  Its important to get all the ingredients mix thoroughly.

Refrigerate for 24 hours. The reason for the long resting time is so the flavors will infuse the dish and the cheese will have time to soften up and break down a little.  The onion will be somewhat strong at first but after the 24 hours it should soften up in strength.

I recommend transferring to a nice bowl before serving, most often people will like to eat this with crackers or on a crostini.  I'll leave that up to you.  Enjoy.


Finito!




No comments: