Saturday, March 19, 2011

Ginger-Marinated Grilled Portabella Mushroom Salad

Dieting!

I read somewhere that it is ironic that the word “die” is the first part of that word. I have never known anyone who enjoys it, though thousand upon millions do it every day. I count myself among the multitudes for the past several weeks. Is it Trendy? No, I don’t think so. I would much rather be trendy with a snowmobile or a Lund fishing boat. If, I’m wrong, the twisted bastard out there that made it trendy should be shot.

I don’t subscribe to the idea that when dieting you can only have tasteless, airy food that has one calorie. Nor do I force myself to gag down a rice cake or a bowl of dead rice. I like flavor. I like my small portions to be something I look forward too, because when I get to finally eat the smaller than I would prefer portion, I want it to be good. I want my body to say, “Sheeew, I thought he was going to eat dirt, this is much better!”

This week I ran into my long time friend Wendy, and we had few moments to visit and laugh about food and dieting and making something good to eat that won’t blow our diets. She told me about the progress she was making and the restrictions her diet had. She put me to the task of coming up with something she could eat. Not an easy task considering the restrictions and busy life. But, I think I may have been successful.


Ginger-Marinated Grilled Portabella Mushroom Salad

Ingredients:
4 portabella mushrooms
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup fresh pineapple juice (not concentrate because of the added sugar)
6 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Black pepper
Spring Mix Salad (I buy the premixed Salads from the local Grocery Store)



Clean mushrooms and remove their stems. Place in a dish, mushroom gill side up.




Prepare the marinade:
In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, pineapple juice and ginger. Drizzle the marinade over the mushrooms. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for about 12 hours, turning mushrooms once at 6 hours


Its Getting HOT in Here, So Take Off all Your Cloths:
Prepare a charcoal grill or heat gas grill or broiler. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches form the heat source. Grill or broil the mushrooms on medium heat turning them only once, until tender, about 5 minutes on each side. Baste the mushrooms’ with the leftover marinade to keep from drying out. Using tongs, transfer the mushrooms to a cutting board. Cut into one inch thick lengths. Garnish with basil and pepper.
Serving:
Place your spring mix salad in a large bowl and drizzle the remaining Marinade over Salad and toss gently. Using tongs, place a good amount of salad on a plate in a pile. Place the Sliced Portabella Mushrooms on top of the salad.

Serve immediately.



I don’t know the calorie count for this Salad, but I can’t imagine it’s very high, since most of the ingredients are fresh and unprocessed. If you want to use a different salad dressing just substitute the marinade with it. I never EVER use the low calorie dressings. They are horrible and have a nasty after taste. Just use your “normal” favorite and remember moderation.

Wendy, I hope this fits the bill for a busy life and diet that, well, doesn’t allow for much flexibility. Really, you cut out bread of all things? I think I would rather have a colonoscopy than give up bread completely. Oh! Did I mention meat? NO WAY am I giving up my meat! Can’t go without MEAT!

I wish you all well in your “die”iting endeavors. Keep up the hard, yet good work.


Finito!

No comments: