Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Wyoming Beef

Until I moved to Wyoming, I had never heard of people buying a whole cow or ½ a cow. That just sounds weird. Can you imagine opening you freezer and having a wall of red meat jump out at you? Well, when I bought a half of a Cow from my best friend who is a cattle rancher here locally, that is what happened every time I opened our freezer. One evening while going to the freezer to pull out some choice cuts for a get-together dinner we were hosting, a sirloin roast made a successful escape onto my big toe. The initial thought was colorful, the initial words were strangled and mumbled so the kids wouldn’t hear and learn a new set of word. This resulted in the purchase of a coffin freezer a week later. Perfect for our purchased cow and the million of other items we freeze on regular bases’.

We are just now getting the tail end of the last cow we bought and most likely will buy another come summer. I haven’t ever compared the price on meat bought from the store over a year versus the price I pay for buying a cow and then having it processed. Frankly I think it’s probably a wash in the end, but I don’t buy meat out of saving a few dollars. I buy meat for its quality and flavor. I’m no expert by any standards for what makes for good Cow. I can tell you I have had all types over my carrier and I know what I think tastes good versus what tastes like……. Well, anyways what isn’t such a great purchase.

Wyoming home grown beef is in my opinion, a superior beef to what you buy in the grocery stores. It has a distinctly better flavor and you can tell the difference when cooking and eating it. I know a little about there growth and what they eat per my rancher buddy. I know that he and many other Ranchers in this part of Wyoming take there product to market often. Sometimes they make money sometimes they lose. Like any business you have ups and downs. We have quite a few locally owned businesses’ that deal in the sell of our local ranchers products.  Personally, I support them whenever I can because they are important to my cooking and producing a superior product at the dinner table. Here are a few of my favorites that I buy from:



  
Clarks Meat House

Wyoming Pure



Wyoming Custom Meats

I never have an issue supporting local business.  If you sell a good product, I'll fork out a few more dollars for it.  Now I want to be clear I don’t Snob our local Grocery stores meat departments.  I'm pretty sure my wife ordered our Prime Rib Roast that we cooked for Christmas from one of them.   I just prefer locally raised beef over store bought.

Involtini - Sicilian Grilled Rollups

Ingredients:
2 1/4 pounds veal, in 6 cutlets
1 1/2 cups Japanese Panko
3 ounces grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons minced parsley
6 cloves finely minced garlic
Coarsely ground pepper
Sea Salt
Extra virgin olive oil

Prepping The Meat:
Begin by pounding the slices of meat with a pounder to flatten them out.

Shackin Bake:
Combine the crumbled bread with the grated cheese, parsley and garlic, and season the mixture to taste with salt and coarsely ground pepper.

Ohhhhhhhhh the loveliness!!!!!!
Rub the slices of meat with olive oil and dredge them in the bread crumbs, then roll them up and stick them with skewers so they stay closed.

HEAT:
Set them over the coals (or your gas grill that most people have, Coals will give a distinctly different flavor) and cook them until done, basting them with more olive oil.

Finito!

No comments: