Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wind Chimes and Venison

I posted this a week or so ago on a local forum here in Lander, WY. after a  early Saturday morning event at my home:

Good Morning,

If anyone happens to see a Big Ol' Buck Deer running around Lander with wind chimes hanging from his Antlers, the chimes are ours. Seem, last night (4am-ish) while grazing in our front yard flower garden the poor bloke was attacked by our wind chimes. Made and awful racket. I heard the chimes/buck Deer heading west down Amoretti at a rather high rate of speed.

You just have to love living in Lander WY. Were else would stuff like this happen?


Cheers!

John Applegate


Imagine my surprise when I opened my email the following day to find 50 some emails asking for pictures, details of the current status of the wind chime search, was it a "BIG" buck with a large rack, did you lose all your flowers and many many more.  I thoroughly enjoyed all of the comments and I really though that I would give some further details since this topic drew allot of attention.

When I finally had a few cups of coffee under my belt Saturday morning I decided to go out into the front yard and check the status of my wind chimes and my wife's flower garden.  As I came out of my front door I saw the sad state of the cast iron rod, that the poor victims hung from, was bent at the base.  The other wind chime that hung next to its twin was wrapped completely around the pole like a kidnap victim.

After I fixed both the cast iron pole and untangled the 2nd wind chime, I began my search for the other wind chime.  At the edge of the lawn near the road I found the tell tale signs of the misshapen chime.  It seems there was a trail leading to the end of the block of wind chime parts.  I was able to recover all parts minus one wood paddle and some fishing line.  So I returned to my garage and performed a restoration of the poor victim.

Later that week I was heading to work in the morning and saw, what I think was the recipient of the wind chime attack.  The buck deer looks to have a little bit of fishing line still in his antlers.  Though, I'm not 100% sure that was the deer, but he did seem to be going out of his way to not go through my neighborhood.  Not a very exciting conclusion to the main event, but I did get allot of request for details. 

So with that little tale, here is a Venison recipe for you to try:

Hoisin Marinated Venison

Ingredients:

1/3 cup hoisin sauce
3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons minced roasted garlic
1/4 cup minced scallions, including green parts
1 Tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 boneless venison strip loin, 2-1/2 to 3 pounds, well trimmed, silver skin removed

Prep:


Whisk together hoisin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, scallions, honey, salt, and oil, and scrape into a large resealable plastic bag. Add venison and seal, turning to coat evenly. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 24 hours. Remove venison from refrigerator and return to room temperature before cooking.

Preheat to medium a Gas or charcoal grill.  Grill for 15ish minutes per side, turning once, for medium rare.  Remove from grill and rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.


I would recommend serving this with some Asparagus and a nice crisp Romain salad.   I hope you enjoyed my twisted little story and this gem of a recipe. 





Finito!

No comments: